Over 50% of postmenopausal women are affected by vaginal changes resulting from decreased estrogen levels. Low estrogen levels and aging are associated with menopause symptoms and other conditions that can cause vaginal dryness, burning, itching, pain during intercourse, and urinary incontinence. If you have tried other therapies and have not found relief, the Mona Lisa Touch can help.
The Mona Lisa Touch treatment is a minimally invasive solution that helps rejuvenate the vagina and restore your quality of life. You don’t have to live with the uncomfortable, painful symptoms anymore. Here at John Macey, MD, we are proud to offer Mona Lisa Touch, a cutting-edge treatment to restore your pelvic health. Learn more about how the Mona Lisa Touch Treatment works and how it can benefit you.
What is the Mona Lisa Touch?
The Mona Lisa Touch is the latest medical laser system that restores vaginal health and functionality. The treatment uses controlled thermal energy, whereby the heat penetrates below your skin surface to improve vaginal tissue and promote new collagen production. The process is fast, simple, painless, non-hormonal, and nonsurgical, designed to treat vaginal atrophy; a condition that occurs before and after menopause, after childbirth, breast cancer treatment, and hysterectomy. The Mona Lisa Touch effectively treats discomfort and dryness from vaginal atrophy, which occurs due to low estrogen levels resulting in drying, thinning, and inflammation of the vaginal walls.
Most women who have tried estrogen creams and hormonal therapy without sufficient relief can benefit from the Mona Lisa Touch. The treatment safely delivers fractional carbon dioxide (CO2) laser energy to the raw virginal tissues in your vagina for immediate and lasting results.
Conditions Treated by The Mona Lisa Touch
Vaginal atrophy can cause the following symptoms:
- Vaginal discomfort or bleeding
- Vaginal dryness, burning, or itching
- Chronic urinary tract infections
- Stress urinary incontinence (leaking urine when you sneeze, laugh, or cough)
- Vaginal discharge
- Painful penetration and intercourse due to decreased lubrication
- Frequent urinary tract infections
- Lichen sclerosis (a common postmenopausal skin condition)
- Burning and urgency with urination
- Shortening and tightening of the vaginal canal
You may experience more than one of these symptoms with varying degrees and intensity. The Mona Lisa Touch can help alleviate these symptoms, including tightening stretched-out vaginal tissues (vaginal laxity) that may result from childbirth.
What Happens During the Mona Lisa Touch Procedure?
Before your laser treatment, you will have an initial consultation with Dr. Macey to review your symptoms and medical history. Dr. Macey will also check your imaging tests and lab results to rule out other medical conditions that might be linked to your symptoms and to determine if the Mona Lisa Touch non-surgical vaginal rejuvenation is the best solution for you.
During the day of the procedure, the Mona Lisa Touch gentle laser energy is delivered into the vaginal wall tissue via a side-firing probe which is turned in a clockwise and anticlockwise motion. You might feel a vibrating effect and minimal discomfort when the tip is inserted if you have vaginal dryness. The laser stimulates new collagen production and a healing response throughout the vaginal canal through a two-part pulse. This promotes the rejuvenation of the vagina. The procedure takes just five minutes.
Mona Lisa Touch Results
After treatment, you may experience mild discomfort, and no downtime is needed. It is essential to avoid sexual intercourse for 2 to 3 days after treatment. It would be best to avoid vigorous physical activities for one to two days after the procedure. Most women report almost immediate results after the first treatment, which continue to improve in the coming months. Dr. Macey recommends three procedures over 18 weeks apart and annual maintenance sessions after the third session.
Benefits of The Mona Lisa Touch Treatments
- Requires no anesthesia
- No downtime
- In-office procedure
- Each treatment takes less than 5 minutes
- Minimal side effects
- Thousands of women have been treated worldwide
- No surgery, cutting, or needles, with the Mona Lisa Touch treatments.
- Minimizes urinary incontinence
- Mona Lisa Touch vaginal rejuvenation restores vaginal tissue
- Restores tightness and functionality of the vaginal area
- It increases you and your partner’s sexual experience
- Mona Lisa laser therapy improves your overall vaginal health making you less vulnerable to vaginal infections
- Over 18 published clinical studies supporting its effectiveness
- It treats a wide range of issues and medical conditions caused by weakened vaginal tissues
- For most women, this procedure is “life-changing”
- Since December 2014, Mona Lisa has been an FDA-approved treatment
- Mona Lisa therapy improves your quality of life
Mona Lisa Touch Is Suitable for Women Who:
- Have post-menopausal vaginal symptoms due to breast cancer or a hysterectomy
- Have menopause and vaginal atrophy symptoms
- Cannot or prefer not to receive hormone therapy (estrogen)
- Have atrophic vaginitis, dyspareunia, urinary incontinence, lichen sclerosis, and more
- Have vaginal dryness, lack of sensation, painful sexual intercourse, recurrent vaginal infections, and urinary incontinence
- Do not want long recovery and pain from invasive surgical procedures
The procedure is not suitable for women who:
- Are pregnant or within three months of giving birth
- Have a history of impaired wound healing or keloid formation
- Have active vaginal or vulvar infections
- Have anticoagulation or thromboembolic conditions
- Have vaginal prolapse beyond the hymen
Mona Lisa Touch Side Effects
The Mona Lisa Touch treatments do not damage the skin or irritate the underlying tissues. This is why the therapy is preferred to other treatments because it is safe and effective. Mona Lisa Touch treatments are usually well tolerated by most women. However, some women may experience mild, temporary side effects like tenderness, itching, burning, vaginal bleeding, and discharge. These effects resolve on their own without causing harm.
Mona Lisa Touch Treatments Nashville, TN
At John Macey, MD, we understand it is not easy to live with vaginal health concerns. We specialize in treating women’s sexual issues and want you to live and enjoy your life to the fullest without the hindrance of pain and discomfort. If you are tired of vaginal atrophy or want to rejuvenate your vagina, our team of compassionate staff is glad to help. Contact us today for more information and to know if you are a suitable candidate for the Mona Lisa Touch therapy.